Monday, August 16, 2010

Getting back on track

While we were gone on vacation, Owen had a little set back with the potty training.  Well actually, it was a big set back.  He had not had an accident in weeks before we left (he still wears pullups while sleeping though).  When we were in Saint John he was good, he would tell whoever was around that he had to go, but insisted "mommy take me".  That was ok, we were going through that "mommy do it" for everything phase even before we left.  However, once we got to Halifax, it was like he had forgotten that he uses the toilet!  He had daily accidents.  SO FRUSTRATING!  Honestly I think 2 things were happening: a) he wasn't that comfortable telling anyone else (besides me, because if I was with him he would tell me) that he had to go, and b) he was holding it for WAY too long and would just lose control. 

We have been home almost a week now, and I was losing it with the accidents.  We tried everything verbally to stop the accidents.  Nothing, he was holding it forever and then losing control.  Well (and here comes the parent of the year award, lol) yesterday morning after 2 accidents I lost it.  Told him if he was going to act like a baby he could wear a diaper.  Chris went and got one and we put it on him (pretty sad that our 6 month old's diapers fit our almost 3 year old!) and he FREAKED!  He cried and screamed, I'm not a baby, get it off! As if it were hurting him.  I only left it on about 20 seconds if that, but it seems to have done the trick.  No more accidents yesterday (although it was more us taking him and making him go when it had been awhile) and today he has finally told us when has to go again!  Ariane and I had the kids at the mall and he told me he had to go, then he was going down for a nap and he told us again.  He insisted mommy take him, but at least he told Chris!  And yay a #1 and #2 in the toilet.  I can't tell you how gross changing poopy pullups was becoming! 

On the Griffin front, he is working hard at sitting up on his own.  He is good for a few seconds on the floor, but sat for almost a minute unassisted (me in very close reaching distance though) in the tub last night.  He is also trying SO hard to get on the move.  He gets his little bum up in the air and pushes up on his legs (looks like downward facing dog) and just kind of pushes forward.  He moved about a foot on his own yesterday.  He is also out of his infant carrier (I just can't carry him anymore in it, when Chris could hardly lift it, we knew it was time!) and into his Britax car seat.  He loves it!  We have a diplomat and he is so comfy in it.  When he falls asleep his head doesn't even bob forward like all of Owen's car seats.  I am pretty sure I am going to be loving this expensive choice.  Now to just save for the Radian for the car.  If you don't know what the radians are, they are made by Sunshine Kids and are slim.  You can fit 3 of them in the back of an average sedan.  I would like to save and eventually get 2, one for each, then there will be lots of room to take another passenger with us if need be in the car.   Here's a link to check it out: http://www.macklems.com/sunshine-kids-radian-car-seat.htm

Well that's it for now, I am off to babysit a friend's kids tonight while her hubby takes her out for a surprise belated anniversary dinner and movie.  So cute, he called us himself yesterday to ask us to babysit.  She is going to be so surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment